What's Included in the 4x5 Kit?
Everything listed below is included in the 4x5 kit. Everything that is normally part of a camera body is included. During construction you will need to provide glue, sandpaper, matte black paint, contact cement, and some kind of finish or sealer for the wood. After construction you will need a lens that covers the film format you want to use, a tripod (standard 1/4"x 20 mount), a focusing cloth, and film holders (also standard). One blank lensboard is included and extras are available for $6.00 each. When you drill the hole in the lensboard it does not need to be threaded and the process is relatively easy. If you don't want to drill your own lensboard you can take it to a local machine shop and pay them to drill it for you (about $5 - $10). When you add that $10 to the $6.00 lensboard cost it still comes out to be a far cry cheaper than one of the $40 jobs you'd buy elsewhere!
- Pre-cut kiln dried cherry hardwood parts
- All Hardware with solid brass screws
- Black Delrin Knobs with threaded brass inserts
- 22" Bellows (made by same company that makes them for a number of other commercially available view cameras)
- 4"x 4" Lensboard (The standard size you find on most view cameras)
- Standard 1/4"x 20 threaded Tripod Mount
- Standard 11" Monorail (22" Extra Long Rail also available for $19.95) The 11" rail is fine for most normal lens work at most normal distances. You can get as close as 10" to the subject with a standard 150mm (normal) lens.
- Spring Steel Springs for film back
- Maltese Brand Satin Ground Glass (does not have grid lines but you can add these quite easily yourself by drawing them on the frosted side with a good sharp pencil and ruler. This has the advantage of being removeable at a later time or changed to suit your needs.)